Peruvian produce is well positioned in the European market and exports total US$ 20 million

38 Peruvian SMEs from the food and clothing sectors participated in the business roundtable, reaching a record number of 200 European buyers.

The Peruvian delegation developed intense commercial intelligence activity in large London chains such as the New Spitalfields market and Harrods stores.

The Minister of Foreign Trade and Tourism (Mincetur) and President of the Board of Directors of Promperú, Magali Silva Velarde-Álvarez, reported that the first version of EXPO PERU Europe successfully concluded in London and achieved a record participation with 38 small and medium-sized companies participating Peruvian exporters and 200 international buyers; among which they made 500 business appointments and finalized negotiations worth US$ 20 million.

“Thanks to the Peruvian businessmen that we have convened through Promperú and the Commercial Office of Peru in the United Kingdom, it has been shown that our strategy for positioning the Peruvian exportable offer in this important market is correct, since the British buyers and those from other parts of Europe, have highlighted the quality of Peruvian products that have materialized in important purchase orders for the next twelve months”, he stressed.

Magali Silva highlighted the participation of international buyers, of which 60% came from the United Kingdom and the remaining 40% from Italy, Spain, France, Holland, Portugal, Belgium, Russia, Switzerland, Poland, Austria and the Nordic countries. “The buyers who have participated have been summoned by the London OCEX through a new, specialized and rigorous selection process, which has allowed the most sought after products to be cotton and alpaca garments, natural and organic foods, Andean fruits and grains, among others”.

He added that Peruvian businessmen developed an intense agenda of induction and training in the English market, in charge of specialists in this market; as well as visits to the main supermarket chains, stores specializing in the sale of superfoods and restaurants in the United Kingdom, in which they developed an intense commercial intelligence agenda by learning about prices, packaging, product marketing, distribution, supply patterns and consumption of the important UK market.

“The businessmen visited the New Spitalfields market, the main market in Europe, specialized in exotic fruits and vegetables, and the most important supplier of London and surroundings. More than 100 companies that import products from various parts of the world are gathered in this enormous establishment, including Peru, which stands out with its supply of asparagus, mango, blueberry and avocado”, he detailed.

Likewise, he indicated that the Peruvian businessmen visited the emblematic department store chain Harrods, the most famous shopping center in the country, located in central London, where they had the opportunity to see the presentation and positioning of businesses such as Peter Jones, Arcadia , Anne Fontaine, Pinko, Lewis, among other luxury clothing brands for men, women and children, as well as accessories and beauty products.

The Peruvian delegation made up of SMEs from Lima, Junín, Cajamarca, Arequipa and Piura, was in “Lima”, a Peruvian food restaurant that in 2013 was awarded a Michelin star. This establishment shows in each of its dishes, the variety, quality and great taste of Peruvian products.

Regarding the business conference, Minister Silva stressed that in accordance with the new export promotion standards, it takes place in the historic and modern hotel The Mayfair in a new form of personalized commercial exhibition supported by the global umbrella of the brand-country that supports each international presentation.

Expo Peru Europe was held on March 16 and 17 and was organized by Promperú with the support of the Commercial Office of Peru (OCEX) London and the collaboration of the Embassies of Peru in the United Kingdom, and of the United Kingdom in Peru.